There are many ways you can keep your jewelry safe, clean and beautiful
for a lifetime of happy wear:
- Read and save any care information that came with the jewelry and
follow the directions.
- Have your jewelry professionally polished and cleaned at least once
a year. Be sure they check prongs or other mounting elements for security
of your stones.
- Avoid wearing when filing, gardening, using household cleaners,
doing housework, washing dishes, swimming or other activities that
might result in harmful contact with the jewelry.
- Avoid getting makeup, hairspray, perfumes, after shave, or hand
lotions on your jewelry. Always put jewely on last when getting ready.
- Be careful rummaging around in your purse. You can scratch jewelry
and stones on items wandering around in there.
- Wipe off jewelry after wear with a moist cloth to remove body persperation
from the surface.
- Avoid chlorine bleach at all costs when wearing your jewelry, especially
silver jewelry which will oxidize (turn black).
- Avoid soaking jewelry or gemstones in water for long periods of
time, including a bath, shower or swimming pool. See our Gemstone
Cleaning and General
Jewelry Cleaning pages for more information.
- Air dry all jewelry before storing it in a jewelry box or armoire
to avoid tarnish.
- When storing jewelry, use original packaging when possible. Jewelry
boxes should allow space between items, as one type and style of jewelry
may scratch or damage another. Never jumble pieces of jewelry together
to avoid damage and chain tangles and knots.
- Avoid extreme temperatures, and avoid extremes in temperature, such
as coming in from a cold, brisk walk and putting a cold ring near
a hot stove. Another example is laying a ring on a window sill in
bright sun, and then submerging it in hot water.
- Purchase anti-tarnish strips and place them in your jewelry box
to absorb humidity and ward off tarnish of all jewelry, especially
We hope you have enjoyed this information. Email
Us if you have special questions or comments.